Wednesday, July 14, 2010

When To Let Go?

It's been a topic of conversation amongst my writer friends for a while now ... when do you let go of a manuscript you're editing and move on to another, shiny, new story? In looking through what comes up when I type in 'When To Move on to Another Manuscript', this topic isn't popular as I'd thought.

What I'm asking about specifically is, after you've edited a book over and over, and have sent it out to critique partners, editors, agents, and feel it's as good as it's going to get, when do you mothball it (or put it under the bed) and move on? Do you have a set criteria for when you're done with a manuscript, and if so, give details!

1 comment:

  1. After 40 rejections or four years, whichever comes first. However, I reserve the right to resurrect them at a later date when the genre comes around again and I hear an editor is looking for exactly that.

    I have two manuscripts under the bed of the six I've completed. The other four still have lots of hope. :) And I'm now half way through the seventh manuscript.

    ReplyDelete