Monday, May 31, 2010

Three Day Weekend ... Bust

Whenever I think about a long weekend, all I can think is all the writing I'll get done. I envision writing from the time the sun comes up, until I force myself to finally go to bed in the wee hours of the night, producing large amounts of brilliant works that will set the world on fire and garner me fame and fortune.

BUT, I have a family. The kids are grown, but still very much involved in our lives (or is it vice-versa?? LOL!). The hubby actually wants to spend time together, go figure. So in reality, my weekends often revolve around family, as it should be. I have been able to carve out an hour each weekend day, even though I'd given myself permission to have one day off.

This past weekend, though, I completely fell off my 'write at least 675 words or an hour a day' bandwagon and didn't write anything but emails on Saturday. I do have an excuse, if you're interested ... pain. My body has decided that my female parts are not welcome anymore and they are desperate to get rid of them. Finally I resorted to Vicodin, which made me feel like I was in a boat, even when I was walking. Evil stuff, that.

So, Sunday rolls around. I get up at the butt-crack of dawn, because the body says so and will not let me sleep anymore. I stumble out to the kitchen to coffee up and zombie walk to my office and turn on the computer. Nobody is awake and wants to play, even in cyber-land. I've often told myself that I can't write at home, too distracting. (There's that "can't" word again! D*amn it!) With nothing else to do, literally, I decide to put in my earphones and see if I can dash off a couple of words on my WIP or at least figure out what my characters next move will be.

Probably took longer than an hour, I really wasn't paying attention, but exceeded my goal for Sunday, writing 902 words. Today I wrote 762, so at the beginning of the week, I'm ahead by 314 words, if you're counting. Whoohoo!!

4 comments:

  1. You too!! I'm so excited that you finished your project that I could squeal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about seeing the weekend as a chance to really get ahead. Usually what happens to me is I'll think that and then bam! It'll be the end of the weekend and all I'll have done is check Facebook 80 times and stare at a blank Word document for 5 minutes.

    I'm glad to hear you got ahead though! It's always an amazing feeling to get more out than you initially aimed for. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate - so good to "see" you :-) Yeah, FB can be a total time drain! I try to limit my time there, just checking it when I'm done with my word count for the day. Keeps me from playing too long. What always gets me is the television, talk about a time drain! I get sucked up into it and the next thing I know that day is over.

    ReplyDelete